Design is subjective by nature, data-isn’t
It has been over a year since we released Bedjango, a full service software development agency which creates highly valuable web and mobile applications. Since then in the bedjango.com website a great effort has been made by SEO positioning BeDjango at the top of the search engines and we have been compiling information from different tools, which makes us able to define a strategy to measure and improve the user experience on the website.
What do we need to measure?
To get to this point we followed HEART Framework, a simple and useful process designed by Google Research Team, allowing us to define a plan and measure what we need to take into account for a better quality user experience.
We took two of the HEART framework, critical ones, and define the goals, the signals and measures:
Engagement: the goal for the user was to find an ordered and logical information as they expected, the signal was how long will they stay on our website and the measurement was the average rebound rate and how the user interacts in our website.
Task Success: the goal was getting commercial leads or contacts, the signal was to get into the contact page and the measurement was the number of new users or users who sent a contact form successfully and which user flow they followed.
Analytics, it's not enough
From the beginning we knew that Google Analytics was not enough, so we decided to combine with Hotjar. An analysis and feedback tool that reveals the behaviour and voice of the users.
*Hotjar Heat Map, 50% of the users didn’t scroll down so they left in the first scroll. that is one of the Hotjar features that, joining with Google Analytics, help us to define Pain Point in our website.
For more than 6 months, we got Analytics metrics with heat maps, funnels reports in defined flows and user tests (Interviews and Recordings) were to discover opportunities and possible improvements that could be made in the user experience.
Collecting data and entries
It is not easy to get to this point, but the results and problems encountered make us see the way and the areas in need of improvement, or to know at least where we shouldn’t go.
Through data tracking and monitoring during this period, we have detected the following points related to the previously defined plan:
Low leads through the contact form.
* Google Analytics Conversion Stats from March to May 2017
Main menu items are not located correctly.
*Hotjar homepage capture during the first year.
Users were not staying much time on our website and the rebound rate was really high.
* Google Analytics from the website launch to March 2017.
All data was objective data, always looking for the balance between quantitative data and quality user feedback, maintaining special attention on how users interact and measuring reaction over specific events and areas that need improvement.
Improving the front line of battle
It was a few intense months until all the information collected was analysed and prioritized and the improvements made that could contribute to the user experience the most and thus cover the defined objectives.
These were the main aspects to improve:
Redesign contact form and improve social proof modules (testimonials and clients . partners logos) to contribute towards user trust.
Modify initial Architecture Information, sort the main menu items, to provide a better user experience.
Improve the content strategy and redesign modules, providing additional info to improve SEO and an additional style to the modules, looking for a compact branding.
*Since the joint work between SEO and UX
What happened next?
Patience is a value that we need to work on it
For the first few weeks after there wasn’t much time to observe how the improvements were improving using Google Analytics and Hotjar and if they were working as planned and covering our business expectations and defined goals.
More users visits, more chances for Leads and contact for us.
*Analytics Conversion for the first month
Users navigate through the main menu more smoothly and more confidently and they would expect.
* Bedjango navigation on Hotjar, how a user works on it
*Google Analytics data after 3 weeks since the new improvements.
After the first month we also detected some ideas that we would like refine in this process and test them, where we had been working closely to all the BeDjango Team, SEO, VIsual, UX. Developer, Business, everyone was pushing together towards the same objective, be a reference for Django projects.